VARIOUS FORMS OF MEDICAL TRANSPORTATION AND THEIR USES
In the past, the logistics of travelling to or between medical facilities was a nightmare. As convenience and simplicity take center stage in our lives, there are more convenient and accessible means of booking a medical transport service.
Depending on your needs and mobility, there are various forms of medical transport services that allow patients to save time and money while ensuring that they reach their destination with utmost comfort and ease. Below are the different types of medical transportation:
- Ambulance transportation: This is the most common form of medical transport service and is commonly used for emergencies. Ambulances are typically utilized to access accident scenes and are either used to transport casualties to the nearest medical facility or to shuttle them between medical facilities.
- Non-Emergency Medical Transportation: This offers an additional level of care and support for patients who utilizes a NEMT vehicle. However, it is less expensive compared to ambulances and is more suited for patients with special needs/safety issues, those confined to the bed, and bariatric patients.
- Stretcher Transportation: Some patients are unable to move out of bed or assume a sitting position. This calls for a special form of medical transport service that can accommodate a stretcher in the vehicle. As long as the situation doesn’t involve a medical emergency, stretcher transportation is suited for patients that need to be conveyed laying down.
- Wheelchair Transportation: In the case where a patient is unable to walk without assistance, wheelchair transportation becomes the ideal form of medical transportation. Some patients prefer to move from the wheelchair to the vehicle seat, while others choose to stay on the wheelchair. Medical transport service providers consider these preferences for every patient in need of their service. However, restraints and hookups must be installed in the vehicle to ensure that the wheelchair remains in place during the journey to the patient’s destination.
- Door-through-door transportation: Door-through-door transportation serves the purpose of assisting patients in getting out of their houses and into the appointment room. Trained drivers would often enter into the patient’s home and help them onto the wheelchair, stretcher, or walking them to the vehicle.
- Air medical Transport: Some patients might need medical care in a destination that might ordinarily take a longer time to reach while traveling on land. For instance, a patient in San Francisco may require surgery in London. Air medical transport is convenient and more reliable for these patients, given the fact that state of the art medical equipment, including specific ICU devices, are made available within an air ambulance. Flight nurses and paramedics are also available to provide the highest level of care to patients, in case of a medical emergency.
- Long-distance Non-Emergency Medical Transportation: Transporting loved ones over a long distance might seem like a herculean task. Long-distance medical transportation often relieves the client of the cumbersome task of making arrangements for a vehicle to take them over a long distance, i.e. interstate. This medical transport service is highly suited for situations where the patient needs to receive non-emergency medical care at a considerable distance from their residence. Long-distance non-emergency medical transportation offers convenience and reliability over several miles of travel.
- Curb-to-Curb Medical Transportation: This is similar to door-to-door medical transportation. However, the patient has to wait patiently outside the home for the driver’s arrival. The driver helps the passenger into the vehicle and drives to the medical facility or residence. Once they arrive at the destination, the driver assists the passenger to alight the vehicle before departing.
Whether you are traveling to the other end of the earth, three states away or going for a doctor’s appointment a few blocks from your residence, medical transport services are incredibly useful for safely and speedily transporting patients from one point to another.