Non Emergency Medical Transport Services Cost
- Attending physician check-ups without a friend or family member to assist you.
- Transportation to and from outpatient surgery.
- Transportation to and from Post surgery, follow-up appointments with your doctor.
Depending on the condition of the patient being transported, there are various types of vehicles that may be used for NEMT, such as:
- Medical Sedan Cars
- Shuttle buses – these are normally used to transport a large group of patients.
- Wheelchair Vans
- Fully equipped ambulances – in this case, the ambulances will not deploy sirens and lights.
When it comes to choosing a provider of non-emergency medical transportation services, there are several aspects that you need to consider. The most important consideration, in this regard is ensuring that you get the best professional services at a reasonable cost. As such, cost is a factor that many people consider when choosing a NEMT service provider. Mentioned below are some non-emergency medical transportation cost aspects you need to be aware of.
Calculating the Cost of NEMT
When looking for a good NEMT service provider, you need to ensure that you get the best value for your money. While this is the case, many people do not know how the cost of this service is calculated. The total cost for NEMT services comprises of several things, such as the pick up fee, cost per distance covered and fee for extra personnel and specialized care. Additionally, the cost charged by various NEMT companies varies. In this regard, the cost paid for these services will vary from one case to another. Therefore, the total non emergency medical transportation will be a sum of the flat pick up cost + cost per mile covered + charge for additional technician and or oxygen.
Does Medicare Cover NEMT?
According to the information found on their website, Medicare may cover for limited NEMT services. For Medicare to cover this, several conditions have to be met, including:
- The non-emergency medical transportation must be medically necessary.
- The use of alternative mode of transportation will endanger the patient’s health.
- When this mode of transportation is required for the patient to access diagnoses or treatment.
- When the patient has a written order from a doctor indicating that NEMT is essential due to the patient’s medical condition.
If such conditions are met, Medicare may cover the cost of NEMT. However, Medicare does not cover for non emergency medical transportation to and from follow up checkups with your doctor. In such cases, you will need to pay for your TRANSPORTATION.
IS NEMT Covered By Private Insurance?
While the law requires insurance carriers to cover emergency ambulance services, most private insurance covers do not include NEMT. The private insurance plans that cover NEMT cost are the ones that have this benefit included in the subscriber’s plan.
Whether you are the one paying for your non emergency medical transportation or not, you should always ensure that you get the best value for your money. In this regard, using ACC Medlink for your long distance medical transportation needs has a lot to offer. For a detailed quote of professional, high quality NEMT services, contact ACC Medlink.